2y ago

Seeking Thoughts on Notifications

One of the Outverse missions is to reduce notification overload (I totally get this....notifications save me from forgetting but haunt me when I have not forgotten!). So if you want to get notification of a reply to your thread you have to opt in (click the bell). I think power users can cope with that but casual forum users will miss that point, and not be notified when they get a reply. I see that as a problem for getting new people back to my forum.....all they will get is silence unless they think to revisit and see if they have any replies (and hey, I agree quite a few will, but lots won't).

I am just throwing this out there to see what other users think about this and have my own thinking on this challenged.

I can't help but think if you are going to go with 'opt in' you need some prompt to really make it clear that if you post a thred and want notification of replies you need to click the bell. Maybe something next to the 'Create Thread' button that either reminds you or better still could the bell be there next to the button or something like that to prompt/inform/remind?

3 replies
(edited) 2y ago

I agree. This needs some work. I think notifications should be ON by default but allow the user to toggle when/what prompts a notification.

I think I said this elsewhere, but you probably want to build for the basic user.

(edited) 2y ago

Hey Simon & Riddic!

Super keen to hear more thoughts on what you'd love to see from our notifications system as we continue to evolve it 🙌🏽

As Riddic says, we're currently doing a lot of design work on notifications – some of the things we're working on include:

• Giving members more channel via which to receive notifications (outside of email)

• Enabling members to receive batch notifications (rather than simply 1:1 notifications)

• Prompting members to opt-in to notifications that they could be interested in receiving

• Unread/unseen identifiers for forums & threads

• An in-app notification feed/inbox – this is something we think is particularly important to get right, so is undergoing a lot of design work

Regarding auto-opt-in: members do currently get automatically opted into thread notifications for threads they have created – and also auto opted in to direct reply notifications for any reply they've authored within a thread.

I hope that's helped clarify the current auto-opt-in behaviour – and as I mentioned above, I'd love to hear any further thought/ideas you have on notification features as we're currently working hard on these internally! 🔔

(edited) 2y ago

Hi Ollie
OK ......Call me the dunce of the class! As you say "members do currently get automatically opted into thread notifications for threads they have created – and also auto opted in to direct reply notifications for any reply they've authored within a thread. " is what I was hoping for and you already do that. How did I not work that out? /
So all good and it sounds like you've got exciting things on the roadmap for notifications.....I +1 all your points.